This Challenge Is Closed
Think you’re funny?
It’s time for the latest Write Club Screenplay Challenge contest: “Everything’s Fine”
Comedy is not pretty. Or easy.
And it comes in lots of flavors. Slapstick? Screwball? Satire? Whether you’re writing the next fart-filled Farrelly opus, or the next Spinal Tap-killing mockumentary, it’s hard to get the funny on the page.
And that’s what you have to do, right? Get the funny on the page. Make the reader laugh (remember, we approach all screenplays from the spec perspective, and assume you have to win the reader over.)
THE CHALLENGE: Write A Short Comedy Scene
With these restrictions:
- Write a scene with a main character who is in a situation that is incredibly awkward and difficult to cope with.
- Include a second character whose sole purpose is to interact with the main character as though nothing is wrong and nothing awkward is happening.
- Oh, and make it hilarious.
- It’s okay if this isn’t a whole story… you don’t have to have a complete short film here (but you can if you want to). Just a complete scene. But as with any scene, it should have its own internal arc, so don’t skimp on the structure.
5/15 – limited to first 25 entries
This is a Refereed Challenge. That means the winner’s not voted in by the audience, it’s chosen by our guest judge.
Who Am I To Judge?
Your referee will be Erikka Innes… and Erikka knows funny.
Erikka is a stand-up comedian and writer. Her articles, screenplays, and columns have appeared in a variety of publications and projects. Her comedy tours include The High School Reunion Tour and Five Funny Females. She is a regular on the Sirius XM Radio series Hey Get Off My Lawn. Her comedy films can be seen on Funny Or Die, and her award winning short film Pool Pirates has been well received on the festival circuit. Recently, one of Erikka’s one liners appeared in the NY Post article Comics’ favorite jokes.
For a daily dose of Erikka’s one liners, follow her on twitter at @nerdgirlcomedy.
What You Win
The lucky winner will get a copy of Erikka’s latest CD “Sex with Nerds”
The new joke book she appears in: “My Joke Book.”
And of course, bragging rights.
- 1 scene
- 2 pages or less
- proper screenplay formatting
- zero typos (esp. spelling, commas, and apostrophes) – including the character names!
Check our RULES page for more details.
Check out the FAQ page if you’re still confused.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Join Write Club Challenge.
Post your entry in the “comments” for this post. Use “Scrippets” tags to format your entry like a screenplay.
SUBMISSIONS LIMITED to the first 25 qualified entries (qualified = meeting the stated criteria) or 05-25-12 — whichever comes first.
WINNERS ANNOUNCED approximately May 31.
COMMENTS WILL BE RESTRICTED TO ENTRIES ONLY. Please don’t comment on the entries here. Such comments will be deleted (there’ll be time for comments and discussion later, after the winner’s announced, we promise). Contact Us if you have questions.