There are two types of challenges:
- Refereed challenges are judged by a designated pro referee.
- Popular vote challenges are anonymously upvoted by visitors.
- We post new screenwriting challenges on the challenges thread.
- You read the rules for that challenge, and submit your entry as a COMMENT on that challenge post.
- Your entry will either be judged by our Referee, or by popular vote, depending on the type of challenge.
- If there’s a prize, the winner gets the prize.
This is all meant to be fun, so we’ll keep the rules as simple as we can.
- Submit your entry by posting it as a comment below the challenge in screenplay format, by using the Scrippets tool.
- One submission per entrant. Your first entry will be your official entry. Subsequent entries will be deleted without warning.
- Keep entries short — specific lengths will be noted in the challenge. Follow the guidance.
- We will limit the number of entrants per challenge. If we set a limit of 25 and you’re number 26, sorry. It’s a time issue. We’ve got to read everything, right?
- The only comments allowed on the challenge post will be entries. Your general comments and discussions on the entries can be posted on the winners announcement posting after judging is complete. Any comments on the challenge post that are not entries will be deleted without warning.
- Entries may function as shorts or as portions of a larger piece (unless otherwise specified in the challenge).
- Don’t plagiarize. Submit work that’s yours and yours alone (teams okay).
- Formatting counts. Content is king, but formatting counts. Use Scrippets tags. Treat this like a professional submission. Use the EDIT tool.
- Spelling counts. Content is king, but spelling counts. Treat this like a professional submission. Use the EDIT tool.
- The site is rated “R”. Language and situations can be adult in nature, but not “adult” in nature. Likewise, no hate speech, libel or slander allowed (that isn’t in service of the story). Use your head.
- We reserve the right to DELETE entries that are deemed inappropriate, or are so incorrectly formatted so as to break the page.
- Referee(s) decisions are final. Popular vote decisions are final (unless ballot stuffing is discovered.)
- Your entries are yours to do with as you please. We take no ownership or rights to them other than the right to have them here as entries.
I think that’s it. If it becomes necessary to make things more complicated (read ‘legal’) in the future, we will.